08 September 2010

Musings on the First Day of School (on the Second Day of School)

     Following is Daniel's journal entry written on the first day of school last year. I remember us all laughing at his creative imagery (he was 12 when he wrote it), and this afternoon, after he again read it to me, I thought it would make a near-perfect post for today -- the second day of school here at Heritage Halls Academy. Yes, the kids launched themselves into their respective grades yesterday, and our grueling autumn schedule was calmly and unquestionably revived. I must say we have been surprisingly consistent in our 7:00 rise time. (I am taking this opportunity to praise our assiduousness, before I no longer have justification for such homage.)

First Day of School
Wednesday, September 9th, 2009

     Greetings!!! A new school year has been approaching all summer, but now, suddenly, I find myself plunging into the icy water of curriculum. It jerks me to a rude awakening as the cold shock forces me to accept the monotonous, hard, dull moments and to appreciate the carefree, laid-back attitude of the summer and long for Christmas break. Already I find myself hoping to burst the surface and take a breath of weekends. Although, as I exert my energy to swim the Olympic-size swimming pool of grade six, I find myself enjoying the exertion (a little bit) and thanking Mom for pushing me off the diving board. Alas! I must admit that there have been and will be fabulous droplets of time in the endless pool of learning (although they will be chiefly comprised of weekends). Indeed, I am filled with vigor to hold my pencil steady and suppress sloppiness.

Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Excellent writing Daniel! A bit heavy-handed on the adjectives, but many people love that. See if you can find the book, 'On Writing Well' by William Zinsser (yes, it may appear that I am beating a dead horse on this one, but it IS my favorite writing how-to book). After ingesting the ideas from that book, you'll be writing masterful essays and potentially, volumes, in a few years. Practice! It's an awesome skill.

    ReplyDelete